Challah Bread Pudding: A Comforting Dessert Delight
If you’re in the mood for a dessert that combines the rich, eggy sweetness of Challah bread with a creamy, custard-like texture, you’re in for a treat! Our Challah Bread Pudding recipe is the perfect blend of comfort and indulgence. In this article, we’ll guide you through the steps to create this mouthwatering dessert that’s sure to become a family favorite. Let’s dive right in!
Ingredients You’ll Need
For this luscious Challah Bread Pudding, gather the following ingredients:
1. Challah Bread
- Use about 8 cups of cubed Challah bread for the base. Stale bread works best for absorbing the delicious custard.
- You’ll need 2 cups of whole milk for a rich and creamy custard.
3. Heavy Cream
- Add 1 cup of heavy cream to make the pudding luxuriously creamy.
- Scramble 4 large eggs to bind the custard together.
- Sweeten your pudding with 1 cup of granulated sugar.
6. Vanilla Extract
- Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract for a delightful aroma.
7. Cinnamon (Optional)
- For a hint of warmth, you can include 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon.
8. Raisins (Optional)
- If you enjoy a touch of fruitiness, consider adding 1/2 cup of raisins.
Step 1: Preheat and Prepare
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9×13-inch (23×33 cm) baking dish.
Step 2: Cube Challah Bread
- Cut the Challah bread into bite-sized cubes, and place them in the prepared baking dish.
Step 3: Mix Custard
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the whole milk, heavy cream, eggs, granulated sugar, vanilla extract, and ground cinnamon (if using) until well combined.
Step 4: Pour Custard over Bread
- Pour the custard mixture evenly over the cubed Challah bread in the baking dish. Make sure all the bread pieces are coated.
Step 5: Add Raisins (Optional)
- If you’re using raisins, sprinkle them evenly over the bread and custard mixture.
Step 6: Bake to Perfection
- Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 40-45 minutes or until the pudding is set and the top is golden brown.
Step 7: Serve and Enjoy
- Remove the Challah Bread Pudding from the oven and let it cool slightly.
- Serve your warm bread pudding as is or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an extra indulgence.
Tips for Extra Deliciousness
- You can customize your Challah Bread Pudding with other add-ins like chocolate chips, chopped nuts, or a drizzle of caramel sauce.
- Leftover Challah bread works wonderfully for this recipe, giving it a second life as a delicious dessert.
This Challah Bread Pudding is a comforting dessert that combines the softness of bread with the richness of a custard. It’s perfect for family gatherings, holidays, or simply when you’re craving a sweet treat.